Bar 96 in Austin is being transformed into a winter wonderland on Friday, January 20 as LEAP brings you the Après-Ski Winter Social, a ski lodge themed event complete with drink specials, dancing and snow – that’s right, SNOW. Proceeds from the event go to support LifeWorks.
Après-Ski (French for ‘after skiing’) refers to the spirited socializing that often takes place after a long day of skiing, usually while everyone is still in their ski wear. On Friday, Bar 96 will become après-ski central. Organizers are going to great lengths to bring you the most authentic winter lodge experience. How does a generous layer of snow sound? How about having Deep Eddy Vodka drink specials to keep everybody warm? If that doesn’t suit you, Bar 96 has a wide selection of beers to choose from and offers a variety of classic games for patrons to play. Of course, no winter social would be complete without the appropriate dress code so come decked out in your best ski gear.
Not sure what to wear? Check out this helpful About.com guide to looking your best at an après-ski event:
What’s Great to Wear for Après-Ski
Your Favorite Fleece – A nice fleece jacket is perfect for casual socializing after the last run of the day.
A Vest – Whether it’s fleece or down, a vest can be thrown over the most basic shirt and still look great. Vests are also practical because they can be easily removed if you feel too hot.
- A Sweater – A sweater is always a great option for the après-ski scene. Even if it’s just a sweater that you ski in, a sweater is perfect for the après-ski scene.
- A Stylish Hat – If you’ve ever lamented the replacement of hats for helmets on the ski slopes, then you’ll be happy to know that après-ski is a great place to break out a stylish hat. You can find a nice hat at almost any ski store, and not only does a hat coordinate your outfit, but it will keep you warm when you’re out and about, too.
- Your Ski Jacket – Especially if your ski jacket fits well and looks modern, it’s great to wear to an après-ski event. However, if your ski jacket is too bulky to keep track of once you take it off, it might be a good idea to reserve your ski jacket for the actual slopes.
- Your Soft Shell Jacket – If you have a soft shell jacket, consider wearing it to the après-ski scene. After all, it looks great because it just screams “Skier!”
- Après-Ski Boots – Don’t be afraid to have a little freedom with après-ski boots! Even if they might be a little too extreme for normal wear, funky boots are classically “après-ski” and perfect for ski resort night life.
A special thanks goes to our Premiere Corporate Sponsor, The Manginello Law Firm, PLLC. Attorneys at The Manginello Law Firm provide legal services around the state of Texas and nationwide.
LEAP’s Après-Ski Winter Social kicks off at 8 p.m. at 96 Rainey St. in Austin.
Tickets are $20 at the door. Money raised this evening helps support the LifeWorks Emergency Shelter for Runaway, Abused, Abandoned and Foster-Care Youth. LifeWorks operates the only 24/7 shelter available to ALL youth in our community. Each night, LifeWorks Emergency Shelter provides safe shelter, nutritious food and basic essentials ( toothbrush, toothpaste, clothing, undergarments, hygiene supplies, etc…) for youth that would otherwise be homeless.